January - Bubble and Squeak
Try our recipe of the month to use up some of the leftover food in your fridge.
Bubble and Squeak is a great recipe for using up any vegetable leftovers. This can be served with poached, fried or scambled egg and bacon or poached salmon, haddock fillets or grilled trout.
This recipe is from Love Food Hate Waste. To see a video of the recipe being made, visit Love Food Hate Waste.
Bubble and Squeak
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into small pieces
- 450g/1lb leftover mashed potato
- 300g/10 1/2oz leftover mixed cooked vegetables - such as roast parsnips, green beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or peas, chopped into small pieces
- 25g/1 oz hard cheese, grated
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
- Plain flour
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the bacon and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until it begins to turn a golden colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the bacon and onions into a large bowl.
- Add the mashed potato and cooked vegetables, season well. Add the cheese, mix well and divide the mixture into six portions.
- Using your hands, shape each portion into a cake. Put a little flour on a plate and coat each cake in flour on both sides.
- Put onto a greased baking tray and brush with a little melted butter. Bake in a preheated oven (200°C/400°F/ mark 6) for 25 minutes or fry on both sides until golden brown.
Bubble and Squeak cakes can be frozen to be eaten at a later date - simply freeze at the end of step 2.
The next recipe will be posted in February.